Zipper Types and Prices
QUALITY STANDARDS AND DURABILITY OF ZIPPERS
As with every product, there are some quality standards expected during use in zippers. Whether these standards are sufficient is determined by some physical tests.
- Spiral Resistance in Zipper: In order to determine this resistance, a certain weight pulling force is applied to the zipper to determine the opening control.
- Torsional Resistance of Zipper: It is a test done by folding the zipper layer by layer in order to determine the locking strength of the teeth when the zipper is twisted and folded.
- Durability of Zipper Teeth: It is the test of the resistance of the zipper teeth to be damaged and adhere to the strip in the face of transverse and longitudinal forces by attaching the fabric part of the zipper middle point to be tested or the point to be tested to the test device.
- Durability of Zipper Bottom and Top Stoppers: The durability of the lower and upper stoppers / stoppers against vertical force from the grip and the lower part, and the strength of the zipper by stretching 180 degrees in both directions when the lower stopper is adjacent to the zipper cursor is tested.
- Holding Strength of Zipper Lock: The zipper is opened up to a certain point and the cursor / slider is locked. The open edges are stretched tightly in the opposite direction. The strength of the lock on the zipper and the resistance of the zipper teeth remaining in the cursor are tested.
- Tensile Strength of Zipper Slider: Cursor is hung by attaching a weight under it with a special hook. When serious deformations begin in the zipper, the resistance of the slider is recorded as kgf. For these tests, the speed of the Endurance Tester is selected between 100-300 mm/min. Standard fixing jaw width is 25 mm.
- Size Change of Zipper in Washing / Fabric Pull Test: If the zipper's cloth and teeth are of good quality, the zipper should not change in size (length and other deformations) after washing. The amount of shrinkage / deformation of the zipper after washing is controlled.
- Zipper Abrasion Resistance: It is the name of the resistance test of zippers against friction. Zippers encounter friction according to their usage areas. Many companies ignore this standard .
- Color Fastnesses of Zippers Against Rubbing, Washing and Dry Cleaning Color Fastnesses, Color Fastnesses Against Sweat : Zippers can be guaranteed not to change color during use, against friction, stretching, body fluids/perspiration, during washing, or during dry cleaning.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION ON THE USE OF ZIPPER
- In polyester and bone zipper types, the zipper should not be ironed too much.
- If possible, the zipper should be kept closed during dry cleaning or home washing.
- After home washing or dry cleaning, wax, paraffin or soap should be applied on the zipper teeth.
- It is recommended to sew buttons or clips on the zipper, especially for skirts, trousers and similar products where a hidden zipper is used.
- In products such as over-packed bags, tight trousers and skirts, when you have difficulty in joining the two sides of the zipper, first bring the strips closer together by hand and then pull the slider to close the zipper.
- In open zippers (Separe Zippers), while pulling up the slider, the zipper should be closed by holding the fabric next to the pin box (the box where the two ends meet at the bottom).
- If you care for the zipper tightly and use it delicately, the life of the zipper will be extended.
Special zippers are also available. These zippers are produced with extra processing. For example:
- Waterproof and water resistant zippers,
- fireproof zippers (especially for firefighters and soldiers),
- special zippers made for knitwear materials,
- elastic zippers used in aviator and racer clothing