Waterproof Zippers - Types of Water Repellent Zippers
Waterproof Zippers: Buying Guide and Tips
As the name suggests, specially treated waterproof zippers are mostly used to protect against rain. Mainly cotton coats, ski suits, down jackets, diving suits, tents, raincoats, waterproof shoes, firefighting suits, luggage and bags, outdoor jackets, fishing clothes, seamless products, etc. are used in products.
The easiest way to distinguish between a waterproof zipper and an ordinary zipper is to check if the fabric and teeth are closed. For waterproof zippers, the film adhered to the surface covers the zipper teeth and fabric, making them "invisible".
Classification of Waterproof Zippers
According to the coating materials and the special treatment applied, waterproof zippers can be classified as:
- Imported PU waterproof zippers
- TPU waterproof zippers
- PVC waterproof zippers
- Color film waterproof zippers
- Reflective film waterproof zippers
- Silver/gold film waterproof zippers
- Print series waterproof zippers
- Coated waterproof zippers
According to the materials of manufacture, waterproof zippers can be classified as:
- Coil waterproof zippers
- Plastic waterproof zippers
- Metal waterproof zippers
- Hidden waterproof zippers
According to their functions, waterproof zippers can be grouped as follows:
- Civil-purpose waterproof zippers
- Industrial waterproof zippers
- Waterproof / airtight zippers
TPU Waterproof Zippers
TPU is an environmentally friendly, high molecular polymer that is considered a major breakthrough in the application of waterproof and breathable fabrics. It is also referred to as the material of the future due to its excellent physical and chemical properties.
TPU waterproof zippers are more advantageous than their PVC counterparts. They are not only waterproof, but also breathable with good flexibility and resistance to low/high temperature [-40℃, 100℃].
PVC Waterproof Zippers
PVC is mainly composed of polyvinyl chloride, with other ingredients included to provide better heat resistance, toughness and ductility. The surface layer of the PVC film is coated with paint, the middle layer is polyvinyl chloride, and the bottom layer is coated with adhesive material on the back.
PVC can be divided into soft PVC and hard PVC.
Soft PVC Zipper: As the name suggests, soft PVC contains softening agents, resulting in a limited range of applications due to disadvantages such as easy embrittlement and short storage time. It is mainly applied to the surface of floors, ceilings and skins.
Ert PVC Zipper: By comparison, rigid PVC does not contain any softening agents and provides many outstanding advantages, including long-term storage time, good flexibility, minimal brittleness, poison-free and pollution-free, and easy molding.
Wide application of PVC:
- fire proof,
- anti-static and
- easy to mold
It can be attributed to low investment with its performance and high production feature. Its waterproof performance also explains its entry and wide application in the zipper industry.
Coated Waterproof Zippers
Coated waterproof zippers are eco-friendly, soft and waterproof, and tolerate low temperature (as low as minus 70℃). In addition, the coating film does not come off, and the zippers do not bleach and become brittle.
Waterproof Buying Tips
Zipper Buying Tips When purchasing waterproof zippers, many factors should be considered, from the application of these zippers to environmental protection.
1.Using the Zipper
For heavy-duty testing involving multiple back and forth pulls of zippers, you should choose imported PU waterproof zippers.
For better resistance to low/high temperature, you should choose imported PU waterproof zippers [-80℃, 200℃] or TPU waterproof zipper [-40℃to-50℃, 100℃-180℃].
For uniforms with security markings, for example, for traffic police uniforms, you should choose reflective waterproof zippers.
For personalized fabric patterns/logo printing, you should choose print series waterproof zippers.
2. Price Performance on the Zipper
Imported PU waterproof zippers are the most expensive, followed by TPU waterproof zippers. PVC waterproof zippers are the least expensive of the three types.
3. Waterproof Effect on zipper
The width of the middle seam is closely related to the performance of waterproof zippers. The extremely wide center seam will have a negative effect on the waterproofing effect.
4. Waterproof Film on Zipper
It will not come off or tear easily regardless of exposure to low temperature or repeated washing. A high-quality film also guarantees a longer service life.
5. Color Changing / Color Fastness on Zipper
- Colored waterproof zippers should have minimal color fastness. The color difference between the film and the zip tape should be controlled below 5%.
- If you want to achieve color homogeneity on a cloud-free surface, we recommend colored film waterproof zippers.
- In addition to the color difference, the color fastness of waterproof zippers should also be considered when purchasing.
6. Zipper Surface View
For a more elegant and aesthetic appearance, the film surface should be smooth and flat.
7. Smoothness Degree on Zipper Surface
The smoother it is, the better. Since the smooth surface is more water-repellent, this feature should be paid attention to. .
8. Environmental Protection
Waterproof zippers must be environmentally friendly and pass the OEKO-TEX100 standard certification.
Tips for Proper Use of Waterproof Zippers
- Ironing : Avoid ironing directly on it as it may cause the waterproof film to peel off. Place a piece of cloth on the surface before ironing. The ironing temperature should drop below 100 ℃.
- Washing: Close the zipper before washing to protect against the waterproof film. Avoid washing in hot water and allow the zippers to dry naturally.
- Dry Cleaning: Dry cleaning of waterproof zippers may differ according to the fabrics. Please read and double check the washing instructions.
- Drying Process: Chemical reactions can easily occur between the surface of PVC/PU films and waterproof zippers and may leave stains on fabrics, especially bright white fabrics. Before installation, place a piece of cloth between the fabric and the waterproof zipper.
- Packing: Put a piece of paper between the items to prevent the color of the zippers from contaminating the fabrics during transportation.
As Çağlayan Aksesuar, we supply diversified and high quality waterproof zippers, ranging from metal waterproof zippers, plastic waterproof zippers and coil waterproof zippers. Some of the zippers can only serve the purpose of not holding water at the moment. Please double check with our sales people before ordering. In addition to meeting the functional/practical requirements of these zippers, we are committed to simultaneously meeting the aesthetic requirements of various customers.